Serving the UCLA community and an international constituency of academic faculty, scholars, students, writers, and professionals, the Archive Research and Study Center (ARSC) provides a vital access point to UCLA Film & Television Archive's collection of over 300,000 films and television programs, over 100,000 News and Public Affairs (NAPA) programs, and over 2,000 radio programs. ARSC coordinates individual viewing appointments, facilitating access to the Archive's rare collections through the Powell Library Media Lab. With ARSC's assistance, visitors conduct scholarly and professional research for hundreds of class assignments, dissertations, publications and film and television productions.
Coordinate a Research Visit
Many of UCLA Film & Television Archive's holdings can be viewed for research purposes in the Powell Library Media Lab. All research visits and viewing requests must be coordinated in advance with ARSC. We do not collect books, periodicals, production files, scripts, photographs, or information about material in our collection.
- While some holdings can be made available for appointment viewing with short lead time, a significant portion of the collection may require up to two weeks or longer to be made accessible for viewing.
- As the first step in arranging a visit, please search Collections to locate titles of interest.
- From researching the Archive Catalog, we ask that you please compile your viewing request list and email it to us, noting item inventory numbers and titles as listed in the Archive Catalog.
- Upon receipt of your requests from the Archive Catalog, ARSC staff will advise as to the availability of specific titles, make recommendations for additional materials of interest, and assist in selecting appropriate visit dates for your appointments.
- Please review our Research FAQ before planning any travel to conduct research at the Archive.
Viewing requests can be made in person, by phone, email or by submitting a Research Inquiry.
Office hours to arrange viewing: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Research viewing hours: during the academic year include evening hours (Monday - Thursday only) and weekend hours (Sunday afternoon only). During summer session, only daytime weekday appointments are available.