"Today's audiences can experience the most unusual, the most entertaining and exciting treasures from the entire range of cinema's past, all brought back to life by the Archive's team of crack preservationists." —Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times
"For true cinephiles, nothing lets a movie really sing like a pristine celluloid print. In which case, UCLA's Festival of Preservation is a veritable opera." —Matt Sussman, Flavorpill
"There's so much to discover here." —Leonard Maltin
Highlights from the renowned UCLA Festival of Preservation will screen for audiences outside of Los Angeles in select North American venues.
The Festival showcases cherished classics and seldom-seen gems of American film culture newly restored by UCLA Film & Television Archive, spanning an entire century of moving image media: classic Hollywood feature films, television programs, newsreels, silents, documentaries and contemporary independents.
The following titles are a sample of the tour's repertoire. Please check local venues for complete program information.
• Classic film noir including Joseph H. Lewis' Gun Crazy (1950), with a script by Dalton Trumbo, and The Chase (Arthur D. Ripley, 1946).
• Robert Altman's neglected masterpiece That Cold Day in the Park (1969), starring Sandy Dennis.
• Carole Lombard in a chilling horror film from the Halperin Brothers, Supernatural (1933), and a cat-and-mouse thriller from Charles Vidor, Double Door (1934)
• The delightful rom-com starring Cary Grant and written by Preston Sturges, Thirty Day Princess (1934).
• Clara Bow's breakthrough role in the erotic romp, Mantrap (1926).
• An all-star cast including W.C. Fields, George Burns, Gracie Allen and Cab Calloway lead the boisterous pre-Code comedy,International House (1933).
• Documentaries from visionary directors: Shirley Clarke's Robert Frost: A
• And much more!
Tour dates and venues:
|September 8 – October 2, 2013||Chicago, IL||Gene Siskel Film Center|
|November 8 – November 13, 2013||Seattle, WA||Northwest Film Forum|
|November 20 – December 1, 2013||Boston, MA||Museum of Fine Arts|
|January 3 - January 30, 2014||Portland, OR||NW Film Center|
|February 2 - February 23, 2014||Washington, DC||National Gallery of Art|
|March 11 - March 29, 2014||Vancouver, BC||The Cinematheque|